5/20/2007

Technique Challenge - May 20, 2007

I'm challenging myself to try new techniques or trying variations on old techniques or just using tried-and-true techniques that I just have never tried.

I'm getting ready to teach a class on creating dimension and depth on layouts. I was thinking through some of the techniques that create a wonderful, tactile sensation. One is stitching. I use my sewing machine occasionally to stitch on layouts but I really love the feel of embroidery and the thicker floss and string that can be used with hand-stitching. So that's the technique for this layout challenge.

I started with the supplies in photo 1. (Click images for larger photos.) Floss, needle, paper piercer, paper, paint, etc. You of course should use whatever you want that suits your style. Use waxy string or twine even if you'd like. I then used the paper piercer to add holes where I wanted to stitch. Around the photo I used a ruler to punch even holes along the outside of the brown mat (photo #2) but then eyeballed the inside holes. I didn't want it to be "perfect" though. If you want a less messy look than by all means, use the ruler and pencil to mark for all the holes before piercing.

Next, I use black floss to stitch. Don't worry what the back looks like. Mine was a mess. As long as the front looks good, that's all that matters.

I also handwrote in pencil, the title "Artwork" and then pierced holes about 1/3" apart directly on the pencil lines. I stitched those with the same floss.

After stitching, I covered the stitches on the back with tape to make sure they stayed in place and didn't snag on anything. What's really nice about this is how it feels. It feels soft and textured to the touch. Very cool.

The final layout is in photo #3.

Make sure to post if you decide to try this technique, too. I'd love to see what you come up with! :)

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ohhh, I want to try this one! I've done LOTS of machine sewing on my layouts, but I don't think I've done any had-stitching.

5/24/07, 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Scrapbookingtop50 Counter